[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sooty muzzle

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx>, <wdlnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:29:31 -0400

I don't know how this got onto a GSD list...but I can answer the question.
The answer is no, a sooty face will not hinder a Pembroke Welsh Corgi's
chances of finishing.
  And Deb...a sooty face is a red dog whose muzzle is black or
blackish.....and that mask can sometimes even run up to the eyes.

    As one who worked a bit on the first PWC Illustrated Standard, I can
tell you that it said, at the time, that the muzzle can fade to pale cream
or white (or words to that effect) and never mentioned the sooty faced dogs,
because the majority of the people on the committee at the time did not like
sooty faces...nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with that coloration, and
any judge who faults it is not deserving of an entry.
   Sooty muzzles very often mean the dog is going to produce beautiful
pigment...something that can be lost when breeding pale Pem to pale Pem over
and over again...
        Peggy