[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sonomarin GSDC 1977 old film

  • From: Barbara <luvpuppy2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:32:36 -0700

Those were the days.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2015, at 4:11 PM, Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We remember that show that Dorothy is talking about with Goldbecker. The
shows were so large then, they had
bitches in one ring and dogs in another with the second judge....and had to
judge them at the same time...much like
our Nationals have been. Seems there were more dogs in those days than
bitches....though I'm not positive.
I remember THAT day, they waited for the Open bitch who eventually took the
points to come out of the Obedience
ring where she earned her C.D.....and the owner quickly changed choke chains
and handed her to the handler
who was Bob Metzner....and she flew around the ring and won the major in
conformation. Awesome bitch.
When they were done with bitches that day they made both rings into one VERY
large ring.
When Goldbecker started judging the Open dogs he told them to "take them
around slow" and then looked at his
watch. They gaited and gaited and gaited while he watched them....never
changing position of the dogs till he
had made up his mind. He just gaited the dogs....and occasionally looked
at his watch. We were all tired just
WATCHING. <G> Finally he pulled up Dorothy with Von Freya's Eric from
the rear......BOTH still gaiting
beautifully!! <G> Dorothy did an amazing job handling that big powerful
dog.
Almost all those handling in those days were friends and family or owners or
breeders. There were just too
many dogs to all have Pro handlers. Families were at the shows and often
their own kids handled the dogs.

Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of linnloch@xxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 1:01 PM To:
TISHW
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sonomarin GSDC 1977 old film

I recognize Sharon Penny (Gibson) with Ch Walmar's Bravada, and I certainly
see me with Ch Von Freyas Aeric. . Both these dogs just about won
everything in those days. After taking majors at the Sonomarin Specialty,
( the entires were so large, they had to have two judges) Bill Goldbecker
judged , and I was in the ring with Aerics class for 4 hours at a walk,
while he sat in the middle of the ring on an easy chair. The Specialty lasted
from 8AM until 6:30 PM.
Soon after, both Aeric and Bravada took took BOB and BOS at the huge L A
Specialty under two judges,
Bill Goldbecker again, and Ernie Loeb. They were both progeny of Ch Linnloch
Brigadier. In those days,
most of the owners of his progeny couldn't afford professional handlers, so
I did the job for them for
nothing as I was not and never was, a pro.
What memories!
Dorothy