[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sonoma Cty Fair-Cattle Breeders Brag

  • From: Schattengsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 04:16:07 EDT

Last week was the week of Juniors showing Cattle at our local Sonoma County
Fair in Santa Rosa, Ca.  It's a time that I will never forget.  But first you
listers may recall a very sad sorry that I wrote about 2  years ago about my
son, Charles, loosing his steer to a ruptured  stomach.  Now I have a reverse
story to tell with a very happy  ending.

Eighteen months ago our two cows gave us two handsome bulls.  One was  a
Shorthorn bull and one a Cross Bred bull.  These bulls became steers near  6
months of age and were going to be my son's Fair projects.  This was his  first
year in FFA (Future Farmers of America) as his two prior ones he was  an
independent junior.  Before weigh in this past March our neighbor boy
purchased the
red cross bred steer and worked with my son up through Fair last  week.

My son showed his steer (the shorthorn) and won Champion in his  division.
He went back in arena with the four division winners and  won that as well
giving his steer the title of:

2005 SONOMA COUNTY FFA GRAND CHAMPION

I'm sure all the world heard his family and many others screaming.  I  didn't
think we had a chance as many cattle rancher's had their kids out there  with
lots more experience and with a name. I must also add there was a total of
106 Steers entered in this Fair between the FFA and 4H groups.

To top it off he also competed in the County Bred Class and won  first of a
total of 22 steers.  Our red cross bred steer was  third.  That win put a few
BIG dollars in the boy's pockets and my  daughter, Charla, was thrilled as she
bred both the steers.

What an Exciting Week here in Sonoma......:)

One very Happy Mom,
LOIS GREGOR
Schatten Shepherds
Sonoma, Ca.