[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Something that definitely should be considered inreg

  • From: "Paula M. Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 01:53:40 GMT

I 100% totally agree with what Debbie and Barb SAY, but, what I am SEEING is
people not testing BOTH parents and not testing offspring!    And lying to
brood bitch owners and puppy buyers about just what the 3 different results
mean.  It isn't rocket science!  It is basic Mendelian Theory as taught in
elementary school science classes!!  The marker is NOT poly-genetic, as some
seem to want to think!

Not a tool if not used properly.

Paula, 139 days and counting

Home of BIS, BISS, Multi-Group Winning, 2 Time AKC JAM/AOE, International,
Canadian (pending CKC confirmation), & American Champion, Silver Grand
Champion,  Asgard Harley Davidson, HT, PT, CGC, TC, HIC, OFA CHIC #64047
(Original Version), 1st male GSD Grand Champion. 2010 #1 GSD in California,
Lifetime #1 GSD in Michigan, 2010 #1 GSD male in USA (AKC GCH Stats), 2011
Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show Invitee, Lifetime AKC Eukanuba Invitee. 2 Time
Cruft's Invitee.

From: barbara17236@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 16:00:11 -0400 (EDT)

We have tested ALL of our breeding GSDs.    This is just one tool in deciding
who gets bred with whom.

IMO - the more of us who participate with the DM testing and then have
necrospsies done later, the more data the next generations will have to make
better breeding decisions.   In other words, if you have a dog who is tested DM
clear, then dies and a necropsy shows he had DM, this information is invaluable
to others.  But, if you didn't have the dog tested, but did do a necropsy, how
are you going to relate that to the DM test?

All tests start somewhere.

Barb Hively - PA
DNA.  It's what makes a white, a German Shepherd