[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Something of interest

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: grnram415@xxxxxxx, sally@xxxxxxxxxxx, tashina1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:01:24 -0700 (PDT)

I have the HONOR of having a vet who agrees with us.  He tells clients that if
they can keep their girls close for one heat, good.  And dogs at one year.

  It is such a thrill to have a vet that gets the whole picture!
  sheila
grnram415@xxxxxxx wrote:
  I was glad to see that what I thought all along was backed up by research. I
have clients that ask when to alter their dogs. I have always said after the
bitches first season and at least a year for dogs. Their vets tell them to
alter at 6mos, period. I tell them to wait until the growth plates mature
(12-18 mos in GSD's) and the bitch goes through at least one hormonal cycle.
Personally, I have found this to produce the most stable animals. I have no
scientific data to prove this so it is nice to know I'm not alone in my
beliefs.