[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Somebody tried to get in my whelping room...

  • From: candiasgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BonJenShepherds@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:47:35 GMT

Bonnie,

Since the puppies are a week and a half old and snuggled with their mom all
night I think they will be fine.  I might be worried if they were only a few
days old.

CandyZ

candiasgsd.com

> I have a whelping/grooming building that's about  200' from my house.
Well, I
> have a young litter (one & a  half weeks old) in there now with their
mother.
> The building is laid out so  their is a whelping room with an indoor/outdoor
> run off of the one  end and the other end of the building (grooming room)
is
> divided with a  half wall and a 4' chain link gate. Last time I was in the
> building was last  night around 11pm, at that time all was well. We did hear
the
> dogs barking  at around 4am but they tend to do that, it's usually deer
running
> across the  fields that causes it. We live in a very remote area, you'd never
> think you'd  have to worry.
>  This morning around 7am I went over to the building to check on  the
babies
> and cap off the pellet stove. When I approached the building I  noticed that
> the outdoor run's gate was open and the clip that goes into the  gate was
on
> the ground (which was odd). The door on that end of the building is  always
> locked, I use the other door so as not to disturb the dog  inside. So, I go
around
> to the other side to go into the building and the  door is hanging wide open!
> Apparently someone had tried to get in and when my  bitch began barking
at
> them they ran. My bitch remained with her puppies, even  though her
kennel door
> was open = )
>     Now that is really unsettling but I can take  precautions to see that it
> doesn't happen again.What  bothers me most is my puppies were exposed
to lower
> temps  over night. IT went down to like 35 degree's here last night. Now
the
> pellet stove was between the open door and the babies and their heat
lamp
> remained on but still I am sure they were exposed to a chill. I'll just  have
> watch them for signs of sickness. What kind of temps can a young pups be
> exposed to and not get ill? They are pretty accustomed to even
temperatures.

> Bonnie  Jenkins
> BonJen Shepherds
> www.BonJen.com
> *Signer of the GSDCA  Breeders Code Of Ethics*
>

> **************Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in
> recession.
> (http://jobs.aol.com/gallery/growing-job-industries?
ncid=emlcntuscare00000002)

==========================
> POST is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the
original author and of
GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind
are permitted without
prior permission of the original author AND of the Showgsd-l Management.
ALL RIGHTS
RESERVED.

> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION
OR USE IN ANY MANNER OF ANY
MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE
POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND IS A
VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS
OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.