[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: So what are fair handling charges?

  • From: "M. Mike Lynch" <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cyndyinseattle@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 22:48:52 -0800 (PST)

actually you are right! If a dog lives with me while I am showing him. Of
course, they are not charged weekly for baths and grooming and conditioning.
Thats included into the monthly boarding. I also charge for expenses too and
from the show..

  Expenses are (in my business world) gas/oi (travel)l, food (for me and the
help),help (If Im carrying more than I can reasonably make in the ring) and
hotel expenses. It does not include: My weekly steak and lobster dinner, the
gucci watch I had to have and my shopping spree at nordstroms. Just the meat
and the potatoes. Larger shows like Hatboro, Devon, Montgomery County, Buck and
Morris and Esssex the handling fee goes up to 250 per dog per day and
Westminster is an "On Request" show. (meaning I dont really want to go, but if
you want to make the trip, the fee is substantial).

  When I fly, Usually the cost of the airline tickets/hotel/rental car is split
among 3-4 people (unless one client wants to foot the whole bill) and
applicable fees.

  Now, as an all breed handler, I do charge a bonus for a Group I-IV, and Best
in Shows. So if I have a very good weekend there may be an added bonus for a
job well done. Usually, if I am specialing a dog for aperiod time,this is not
an issue for the client.

  Although I dont cut deals, so to speak, I have allowed clients to make
credits on their handling accounts. If Im in need of help, then I credit their
account for coming tot he shows and helping out.. they needed be master
groomers, just babysit the set up while im gone, keep me posted on whats going
on in "ring whatever" and maybe hold a dog outside the ring. Usually, this type
of service is needed more than someone to groom.

  I dont like suprises either, this is why my billing is very straightforward
and my ratesheet/contract agreement is easy to read.

www.BlackHawk-Farms.com
Northern California American Saddlebred Horse Association
Vice President (Class of 2007)

countries) for 2¢/min or less.