[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [So much to learn....if you will.....

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ELG440@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:51:52 -0700

I never understand why there is the opinion that there has to
be a "Health Problem"  to cause a DQ in a Breed Standard?
i.e. Would a Bassett or Doxie be sickly with long straight legs?
I'm not sure hanging ears constitute a "health problem"  along
with docked tails and undershot bites??
For that matter...ring tails and yellow eyes do not interfere
with the work of a GSD....but none of us want one with either.
The Standard specifies what a Breed should LOOK LIKE as well as
correct and useful for any purpose it serves.  That is why it
is recognized as that particular Breed.
( visualize a silver and black Rottie with long hair....??  )

Someone who literally WORKS with SAR dogs and knows the problems
and good qualities of a real working dog has seen a LOT of skin
issues with whites in GSD and OTHER Breeds ... and regarding dogs
in the Military, police K9 work and Sar says:

"White coats largely aren't used.   Whites are too sensitive to the
sun for the desert work, too visible at night, etc.   Coats have
working issues as well.   The mud cakes up, coat next to the skin
stays wet and causes skin issues. If they work in heavy cover they
get all matted up with debris.
( I personally can attest to this on coats ~ AND frozen snow balls!)
<G>
Neither are real "health issues"....but when you are actually WORKING
with a dog day in and day out, these kind of things are the REASONS we
have a utilitarian Standard as well as a Standard of excellence in
appearance!!

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

 Behalf Of Redacted sender "ELG440@xxxxxxx" for DMARC
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] So much to learn and so much to doubt

That is real interesting stuff. It sounds a lot like what they  used to say
about Whites, in the 60s.  What is the source  material?

Is there anything about health with Whites?

I do remember hearing that Collies had an eye problem and they  used to do
test litters to know if a parent was a carrier, then cull the whole  litter.

I learned that from two different Collie breeders.

I know the Dalmatians were often deaf, which is why they did  well on the
fire engines
With the new movie, we are now learning that we do not use but  10% of our
brain, but all of it all of the time.  That may not hold true  with me.
But, that is something a lot of people still  believe.

So much of what I have learned may not be true.

Evan

In a message dated 7/31/2014 10:33:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
proudk911@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I just  have to comment re: pandas.
They DO have something deleterious attached to  their "pattern"- a
homozygous for panda is prenatally LETHAL.  Yep,  the eggs who meet the
wrong gene (to create a homozygous panda) will never  even get the chance to
be born. Those embryos die, and only the  heterozygous pandas survive to be
born.  It's worse than breeding 2  merle dogs (of their given breed)
together. And we all know that's just not  done. (Or isn't supposed to be
anyhow since I imagine some one is doing it  out there)
Pandas cannot breed "true", as all the living pandas are  heterozygous for
the condition.
Blue/liver has other negative health  affects that not seen in the black
pigmented GSDs regardless of  color/pattern.
Dogs with unerect pinnae are more prone to ear infections  not having their
ear canal uncovered and exposed to as much air. (Like  swimmers ear in Labs)
so I suppose that could be considered a "health  problem" too?
Jen P & her  Pack

http://showgsd.org/mail.html