[ SHOWGSD-L ] So long as it does not cost the club

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 12:54:50 EST

rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Why is  it so important to spend a fortune to show a few dogs in a match?
There are  a few classes with competition. Often there are single dog
classes and
people crow about "getting wood" when all they actually did was walk into
the
ring, or more truthfully, pay someone to walk into the  ring.

I understand what Ruth is saying, but to me, the Futurity system is the
National. The Futurity/Maturity classes seem to have, year after year, the
best  of the best in the country.  Now, how does that happen, when we have
small  entries around the country, classes of one or two?

The only answer I can come up with is that the best is all that is now
being shown in the Futurities.  Pets, or "also-rans" stay home.  When  you see
one in the class, it is a good one.

So, the days of going to a Futurity to see what is being produced are gone.
 The days of evaluating a breeding or stud dog no longer can be done at a
Futurity show. The time when you could see the good and the bad from a stud
dog,  no longer exists.  Big entries, multiple entries from litters, own
handlers  or the pets from a litter will no longer exist in that system.

That information as to who is producing what remains by being able to
engage in a study of the Red Book.  It is different but still serves a  purpose.

But, after I go to the National and watch the Futurity/Maturity finals, I
continue to support the system.  If as I am told it does continue to make
money for the club, I continue to stand behind it. With this year being able
to  enter more than one futurity, the second entry should be pure profit
for our club.  There are going to be more entries absent than  before, but we
can deal with that.   I know we entered twice, ran two  ads, (Tedi and I
didn't know the other was doing it), and will be at as many of  the shows as we
can.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together