[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: So is the "stinky" stuff good for them or not?

  • From: Holly Whitney <holly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx list" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:56:40 -0500

> Msg: #3 in digest
> Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:27:17 -0500
> From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: So is the "stinky" stuff good for them or not?
>
> I'm confused about whether or not garlic is good for dogs.  Some say,
> yes they use it to repeal fleas, and others say it's on the "don't
> feed"
> list.  I remember years ago lots of people were using it in their dogs
> meal to repeal the fleas, but now I'm receiving mixed messages.
> And if
> you do use it, are you using the powdered garlic that we use in our
> own
> food?  So is the "stinky" stuff good for them or not?  Barbara
> p.s.  on another note.......why supplement with Vitamin C?  I just
> read
> someone said that the dogs can't utilize it so it's a waste of
> time??????????
>
> --
> Barbara J. Galasso
> CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS
> Visit my website at http://chieftainsgermanshepherds.com

Well, as the daughter of entomologists and a person who swells up
even when just discussing fleas.  I don't believe the question is
whether or not garlic is good for them or not but whether garlic
works to repel fleas.  I'm sure that some will swear that it works
and it's kept fleas away but you can't prove the absence of fleas.
How do you know that they were going to get them in the first place?
I spent two weeks with my in-laws who used garlic to keep fleas away
and my legs can attest to the fact that they did NOT.

However, don't just trust me.  Google fleas garlic and
entomologists.....

 From http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2081.html
Feeding pets garlic, brewer's yeast or B vitamins has not been shown
to be effective against fleas. Also, pennyroyal, eucalyptus,
rosemary, tea leaves and citronella have not provided effective
control. In fact, overdosing of garlic or onion can be irritating or
toxic to pets.

Holly
Derry, NH