[ SHOWGSD-L ] Smaller Classes Means Reserves Aren't Quality Dogs?

  • From: "Robert George" <bruiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:35:38 -0700

Saying that dogs that go reserve don't deserve points because the
classes are small doesn't make sense to me.  Does having smaller classes
mean that that the dogs that go "winners" might not deserve points
either?

The size of the show and the quality of the dogs presented are not
necessarily linked together.  Besides, The AKC has determined how many
dogs is takes for the amount of points that are won.

This makes me recall something that might sound funny.  Back when I was
even more of a novice then I am now, I thought you started winning
points in the classes.  For example if your dog was entered in 9-12 and
there were 4 others and you won the class then your dog would get a
point.  A good friend, Renee Politi, set me straight on that.

Anyway, back to the topic.  It is hard to find majors and even harder to
be the one dog that wins the points.  Everyone knows that.  Maybe this
would help with the declining entries.  Doubling the odds surely
wouldn't hurt the entries.

I agree that the reserve dogs should get points also as in the original
post.  I think the reserve dog would be deserving of the points.  After
all the judge picks the reserve dog too, right?

-Bob George

Once upon a time, when a four or five point show was large, this was a
pretty good idea.  Nowadays, shows are about the size of an Open class
in
the old days, and I don't think the Reserve should have points given to
them. I know the AKC looked at this at one time, but said no then, and
with
the smaller classes, I can't see them saying yes now.  Doris