[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Small is not alway bad

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:37:13 EDT

In a message dated 6/14/2005 10:05:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
I keep hearing how it was so much better in the old days when we had  classes
of 30 and 40.  Well, I was there, and I had as much fun at a show  then, as I
do now.  The difference is that now I get home in time for  dinner, instead
of in the dark.
The "difference" isn't about you at all.  The difference is the alarming
number of people who aren't there anymore.  Didn't they matter?  Does the next
person who is on the way out matter?  How small is the game supposed to get
before it is "bad?"
You consistently point to quality as though the loss of so many breeders and
exhibitors isn't important to that.  Why not consider which of those breeders
might have bred the next Lance?  If I'm not mistaken, Joan and Fran were
relatively novice when Lance fell into their whelping box.  Are you suggesting
that
everyone who's given up on the game was a bad breeder who showed poor quality
dogs?  Is that what we will assume about the next people who give it up?
I'll ask the breeders on this list a simple question.  How many of you have put
show quality puppies into pet homes because there was no show home available?
How about the handlers out there.  Are you all so overloaded with clients that
the fact that show entries continue to shrink doesn't really matter?  How
about the newer handlers... Is that overflow of good dogs getting to all of
you?

The first step toward fixing things is admitting there is a problem!

Tom Langlitz