[ SHOWGSD-L ] Small Brag

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:51:15 -0400

Since my little sable girl, Brandy, did such an awesome job at her
Maturity/show weekend, I decided on a huge reward.  This morning, we took a
drive up Pacific Coast Highway to beautiful Malibu, CA for her herding instinct
test.  The horse ranch is in the Santa Monica mountains and absolutely
gorgeous.

Brandy was interested in the sheep and smells as soon as we got there.  She
watched a couple other dogs do their turn, then it was our turn.  I brought her
into the arena and dropped the lead.  She stared at the sheep but wouldn't
leave my side.  She really is a velcro dog.  I took the lead off and gave her
permission to go check them out.  She was tentative, at first.  She chased them
a couple feet then turned to me to see if she was in trouble.  (She gets in
trouble for chasing the cat.)  I waved her forward and she moved them a few
more feet.  Then, the light bulb came on.  Off she went, moving them, picking
up the strays and bringing them to me.  I got her to take them almost all the
way around the arena before they bunched up on the rail.  She wasn't quite sure
how to get them off the rail.  We worked on that for a few minutes but she got
frustrated.  Janna (Evaluator) called us off and said she'd bring in fresh
sheep.

After a short rest, she got to go in again.  The sheep were at the opposite end
of the arena.  She really wanted to go.  I gave her permission and off she
went.  She did an outrun, picked up the sheep and brought them back to me.  I
can tell you, I was impressed <VBG>   She passed her instinct test with flying
colors.

It never gets old, watching a youngster light up, the instinct kick in and
seeing them doing what they were bred to do.

Had to share,

Laura