[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Slab-sided GSDs

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 19:58:54 GMT

I hate to sound ignorant, but sometimes the only way we learn is to fess up and
admit our short comings.  I've never heard the term "slab sided" GSDs before -
what does it mean?  Does anyone have any pictures of a "slab-sided" GSD?
Thanks for any information you all can provide to educate me!!!

Gayle & the Hooligans!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=4294023 - Link to The
Hooligans Albums

-- <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

How severely are slab-sided(SS) dogs penalized in the confirmation
ring?  Do SS dogs have a greater risk of bloat/torsion or developing
other health problems?  (I know that SS horses may suffer stamina
problems since their lungs can't fully expand.)  Should a SS dog be
bred?  If so, do you breed to a dog with normal, well-sprung ribs or
to a dog with ribs that are more than ideally sprung, not
barrel-chested, but leaning in that direction?  (I'm sure it's much
more
complicated than that.)

I'm a newbie and any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks in
advance for answering my questions.

Paulette McGuirt