[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Skinny GSD-EPI,,,I have a question

  • From: MissMic9@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, murk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 10:16:20 EST

totally true- I ( on my soap box) changed the subject matter line- in an
answer to Laurie.  EPI is so devastating to anyone as a breeder or an owner and
for the dogs themselfs.  Since Texas A&M says it is primarly genetic, I do not
believe most of us even knew enough about EPI to ask if a stud dog had produced
an EPI off spring.(which at this time is the only known way to know if that
animal is a carrier)  Nor do I believe stud dog owners knew enough about EPI to
ask themselfs.  And the same is true of the bitches we bred to these dogs.
Now here we sit with a healthy dog or bitch from known carriers and don't know
if our animal is a carrier or if they may latter come down with EPI itself.
We certainly don't want to knowingly spread a problem.  As Gary Lewis said, he
elimanated 3 generations of breeding to ensure he did the right thing by the
breed.
Education is vital to getting this under control.  I personally know several
breeders this has affected in a major way and none of us knew the other one
had the problem.  Until there is a test to identify EPI, education on the
subject is the only way I know for us to make informed decisions.
Joan Turner

New year...new news.  Be the first to know what is making