[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Skinny GSD-EPI,,,I have a question

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, murk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 15:00:52 -0500

I put EPI out there because my girl had no symtoms until she got pregnant at
almost 3yrs of age.? She was lean, but not skinny and had a nice plush coat.?
She was NOT manic about eating but ate well.? Her stools were normal and she
was a slow maturing girl.? I wrote the?lean off to growing and maturing.? Maybe
the pregnancy triggered the EPI.? I don't know.??I almost lost her
after?whelping the pups.??Maggie had 3 female pups.? I have made sure all are
spayed and Maggie will not be bred again.? I?have not spayed Maggie as I don't
think she will survive a surgery.? None of her daughters have presented with
EPI but that doesn't mean they aren't carriers.? The pups are?4yrs old now and
past the age when EPI presents.? Maggie will be 8yrs old this year.? She's
skinny?but her weight is consistent.? EPI is an option that should be
considered before breeding.??I will do a TLI on any bitch I plan to breed.??I
also won't breed a bitch before 3 yrs of age.?I don't want to put anyone th
 rough?what I have been through with an EPI dog.? It is scary and sad and heart
breaking.? I?know Maggie will not live much longer.??I have done everything I
can for her, including buying raw pancreas from a slaughter house.? But, her
immune system and pancreas are shot.? I treasure every day I have with her and
an happy I got her this far.? So, my opinion is to get the test.? We do OFA's
and?some do CERF's.? Why not test for EPI before you breed???This is an issue
in our breed and as responsible breeders, shouldn't we try to eliminate?EPI as
well?? JMHO.
Laura????????