[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Size.

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ANN SCHULTZ" <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, bedkar@xxxxx, "Emilie" <windvane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, elsyd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:58:39 -0500

There is such a thing called "form and function"..I will used humans as an
example. A gymnast tends to be smaller in stature, when I say smaller, I do
not mean the men are effeminate. A basketball player is usually tall..how
do you think the gymnast would fair on the basketball court? The basketball
player as a gymnast? Do you think that a gymnast that is muscular is less
masculine than the basketball player because the basketball player is
taller?Since humans generally know their limitations, most gymnasts
recognize they lack the physical attributes needed to play basketball
effectively, on the flip side, most basketball players know that their
height impedes them from tackling complicated gymnastics feats.Naturally
not everyone that is tall is gifted at basketball, and not everyone that is
shorter is a gymnast, so the talent has to be there as well, but you get my
point. .Dogs were bred for a purpose, again, form and function. As I looked
in my AKC standard book, I reviewed the desired heights for all the dogs in
this group. Only the Old English has an open ended height.In Bouviers, the
ideal height is the median height. There are no giant breeds in the herding
group, could form and function be the reason? Perhaps if some feel we need
to modify the standard to fit our desire for a larger dog, then perhaps we
need to also consider switching our breed to the working group as well.
Keep in mind, I like the standard the way it is. I understand that
masculinity is not defined by height, but by other characteristics. This
thread originated by my observation that a correct size bitch was falling
under scrutiny because she was the correct size and not oversized, to the
point where there was a question as to whether she was undersized, for our
breed. Again, my point was,  SOME penalize what is desired as incorrect,
because they have incorrect!  Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

<windvane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <elsyd1@xxxxxxx>; <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 3/10/2008 10:09:20 PM
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Size.
>
> Size doesn't always affect agility, the way they are put together does. I
have a 27 inch bitch that has more substance then most males and she can
turn on a dime, is very fluid in movement and totally coordinated. I have
seen dogs within the standard sizewise that are total klutz's.  I think
that bigger dogs are hard to beat, because they are more impressive.  I
have also found bigger bitches do better as well.  I remember getting beat
by a bitch that outstrided my within the standard bitch easily.  Her legs
were twice as long. Ann
> Kay Reamensnyder Betty Doerpinghaus <bedkar@xxxxx> wrote:  The largest
breed is the Irish Wolfhound......which should be,
> by standard, a minium of 32 inches.
> The Great Dane starts at 30 inches, as does the Scottish
> Deerhound. These are not dogs known for their agility.
> There is a sound reason for limiting size.....agility!
>
> Kay Reamensnyder and Betty DoerpinghausHome of Bedkar German
shepherdsbedkar@xxxxx> From: hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To:
windvane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Elsyd1@xxxxxxx; showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [
SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Size. > Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:34:57 -0500> > Not trying
to put anyone on the spot, but just so we are all on the same>
page..describe a "big" dog to me?I have seen tall dogs that weren't>
masculine, I have seen shorter dogs that were very masculine. Christine> >
hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Steve and Christine Grainger>
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM> > > > [Original Message]> > From: Emilie > > To: ;
> > Date: 3/10/2008 8:06:18 PM> > Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Size. > >> >
I'm with you. we have border terriers for small dogs!LOL> > Emilie> > --
Original Message ----- > > From: > > To: > > Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008
5:04 PM> > Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Size.> >> >> >>
> > I like a big dog. Syd> >> >> > **************It's Tax Time! Get tips,
forms, and advice on AOL Money &> > Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)> >> >> >>
> > POST is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the>
original > > author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or
FORWARDS of any > > kind are permitted without prior permission of the
original author AND> of > > the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.>
>> > ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY > > MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE
EXPRESS > > PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT
IS> EXPRESSLY > > FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS
PROHIBITION WILL> BE > > PROSECUTED.> >> > For assistance, please contact
the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> >> > VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.sho
> wgsd.org> >>
Free Edition.> > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.21.4/1310 - Release
Date: 3/4/2008 > > 8:35 AM> >> >> >>
> > POST is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the>
original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or
FORWARDS> of any kind are permitted without prior permission of the
original author > AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. >
>> > ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY> MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS>
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY>
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL
BE> PROSECUTED. > >> > For assistance, please contact
> the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> >> > VISIT OUR WEBSITE -
www.showgsd.org> >>

> POST is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the
AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. > > ALL PERSONS ARE
ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY MANNER OF ANY
MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL
PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND IS
A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED. > >
For assistance, please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> >
VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org>

> POST is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the

> VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org

> Ann
Home of Sel Ex # 6 Ch Maxwell, Sel Ex Ch Gilley and #1  Dam Muggles -
owner/breeder of 64 champions and 19 ROMs