[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Silent Heat

  • From: barbara17236@xxxxxxx
  • To: midnitegsd@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:27:53 -0500

Yes, I know of a bitch who has silent heats.  Yes, they can have litters but
you must be tuned into their cycles.  The best way I have found to handle this
is to check the bitch at least once per week for any vaginal swelling.  Since
these bitches either don't bleed or are keeping themselves so clean that no
blood is ever seen, I check them with a clean q-tip.  You do not need to insert
it in very far into the vagina to see any color on the tip.  FYI - I repro vet
told me this trick and to date, no infections have occurred.

Once I find the swelling or color on the q-tip, they go into the vet for a
progesterone test.   Before I started using the q-tip method, the mals would
tell us but the progesterone test would come back already in the teens.

A recommend a thyroid panel be done on any bitch who has a silent heat.  The
lack of swelling and/or bleeding can be caused by thyroid issues.

Barb Hively