[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sick and Tired of Dog Talk???

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:31:15 EDT

I started replying in private, then changed my mind.   I came on this list
over 12 years ago.   The only major change that I have seen is that the
nastiness of the last year or two has gone.   (whew).   Discussion of
conformation,
standards,flopping tails, dog show judges always have been cyclical, as
somebody
starts a discussion that hasn't been around for a while.   The food
discussions, the white GSD, etc., all are cyclical, too.   It is possible that
the long
time listers (with more GSD knowledge that I could ever hope to have) have
posted   on various subjects so often, so many times, that they feel they are
not being heard.   ( Actually I miss our "marbles game" posts...No,Zoe I won't
LOL..., the recipes around holidays).   :-)    Asking for help and getting it
(in any form) is NEVER withheld...privately and on list, from what I have seen.

Understanding both sides of the equation, people more new to the GSD oriented
discussions and people who have in the past had the same discussions numerous
times, I guess the only solution is to keep asking questions of those
remarkable people who have been in the trenches for a long, long time.

What I'm trying to say, is that the cycles need to be re-started, and the
people who, in the past, have been the educators need to understand we are
listening.....still.

I know I feel the same way about my anti-dog legislation posts.   THey are
about our future in dogs.   But I just keep posting.    I just keep hoping that
you all are listening and acting on the information.

Stormy
In a message dated 7/24/08 10:50:55 AM, cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> While I don't have a "shiny happy" persona, I do my best to keep a positive
> outlook on life.  Sometimes, in certain situations, it's difficult to do
> so...  Like when I think about the upcoming presidential election.  But, I
> digress...
>
> Another thing that makes me kinda sad is this List...  The sport of GSD
> conformation showing is exhibiting serious signs of morbidity.  (Maybe
> dying, maybe not.)  It doesn't take a "Pillar of the Breed" to figure this
> out.
>
> There is one thing I've learned from my life experiences - *apathy* kills.
>
> I hear experienced GSD fanciers say over and over, "Newbies don't want to
> learn.  They don't have the desire to be serious students of the Breed."
>
> While there may be some truth to that, I'd like to counter with - do you,
> who subscribe to the above, have any desire to *teach* and share your
> knowledge?
>
> What has transpired on this List lends credence to *both* claims...  From
> what I can tell, Newbies and Oldies alike are suffering from a serious case
> of apathy...
>
> Here's why I say what I say...  A week or so ago, I found an article in an
> old Review regarding the GSD Standard.  I thought the article was great and
> very much applicable today.  I posted a synopsis of this article to the
> List.
>
> I was hoping my post would generate some lively conversation re. our
> Standard.  I received exactly *two* responses to this post.  (Thanks, you
> two!)
>
> Yet, somebody posts they are looking for a concrete Shepherd and just look
> at the number of responses this post has  generated.  Or post something
> about the weather and check out the abundance of comments.
>
> I see nothing wrong with posts such as these, but I do see something wrong
> with what this List has become...  Sometimes, it seems like everyone is
> willing to talk about anything *but* German Shepherd Dogs!
>
> Several times in the past, I've tried to initiate serious discussion
> relating to GSD's and have gotten nowhere.  For the longest time, I took
> this personal...  That I'm just a Newbie and nobody is interested in what I
> have to say.  However, after talking to other Listers, who aren't Newbies at
> all,  I know this isn't the case...  These very experienced and successful
> fanciers have tried to stimulate GSD discussions and they too have been very
> disappointed by the lack of interest.
>
> This List is *incredible* when it comes to helping one another with whatever
> type of problem - whether it be dog related or very personal.  However, this
> List could be a *phenomenal* teaching and learning tool!  Look at the
> membership roster and think about the cumulative years of experience
> represented there.  It kinda blows my mind!
>
> Okay, I'll shut up now, but before I go, I've got to ask both you Newbies
> and Oldies...

> [...]

"You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result."
Mahatma Gandhi
Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.com

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for
FanHouse Fantasy Football today.