[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sick Dog Diagnosis

  • From: "Castle Kennels" <castlegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <SHOWGSD-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:10:49 -0500

I got a call from the owner of a dog I sold to him almost six years ago.
The dog is very, very sick and has been to many different vets with no
positive diagnosis.  I finally convinced the owner to take the dog to the
University of Wisconsin Vet Teaching Hospital.  The diagnosis is pending on
a culture done for Aspergillous fungus.  Does anyone know what this is,  how
it is contacted, and how serious it is.  The dog had been on prednisone for
a long time for the second problem which has weakened  his immune system.

The dog also been diagnosed tentatively with Lumboscara Myelopathy.  He is
seeing a neurolgist at the university in a week for further tests.  Is this
the same as degenerative mylepothy?(spelling?)   Both the sire and dam have
had the DNA test for DM and neither carried the gene or marker.

I have been so upset over this as he is a gorgeous solid-black male,
littermate to my bitch.  If it is Lumboscara M, could it be caused by too
much jumping and running as a puppy.  I know the owner had the puppy jumping
after a frisbee every day for long time periods when it was very young even
though I had told him not to let the puppy jump like that.  Any insight or
experiences with these two problems would be very helpful.

Pat
Castle Kennels, Ltd.
Where Shepherds of Distinction Reign
 <http://www.castlekennels.com> www.castlekennels.com