[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sick Dog

  • From: ParavelGS@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (showlist)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:58:18 +0000

Got this e-mail from a friend with a 12 1/2 year old lab mix and told her I
would post to the list. I bet someone has been through something like this on
the list, so if anyone has an idea of what is going on please let me know. She
is taking him to a vet, but I appreciate any experience you have had also.
Thanks.
Sheri Chambers

"I need your advise on a dog related matter.

Saturday night 8:15 or so, Alex went into convulsion/seizure that lasted for
about a minute, minute and a half. He appeared aware, but helpless. His mouth
was open wide and his whole body was involved. He drooled some, and lost his
bladder. When he came out of it, he was disoriented, almost drunk-acting,
uncoordinated, wandering around the house, not coherent, he didn?t want to stay
still, so we let him wander around. He was actively seeking food. I called a
friend, she?s a nurse at CSU, she took some blood, it clotted normally, and she
also did a glucose test. Test strips were old, but read 30. (She tested her dog
with same strips when she got home and he was 130.) We gave him some Kyro
Syrup, about a tablespoon, and about a cup of food, which he eagerly ate. He
drank normally also. He has not recovered to the same capacity as he was before
the seizure. He was unbalanced throughout the night.

Sunday morning was normal. He went outside, normal urination, normal bowel
movements, ate 2 cups of food for breakfast, normal water consumption. Still
somewhat unbalanced, falls to hind quarters on occasion, but can get around on
his own. Attitude is still Alex-like. Fed 1 cup of food about 11:00 with a
tablespoon of Kyro Syrup, and he gobbled it up. About 1:00 yesterday afternoon,
Alex had another seizure outside. Nobody saw this happen, but it was toward the
end of the episode when we noticed him, and we quickly brought him inside to
recover. Recovery time and situation was about the same as the day before. Gave
some food and Kyro Syrup.  We then took Alex to Dr. Sherrod at Chapelle Animal
Clinic.  Nothing was concluded directly from the tests, however, his
cholesterol is high, and the other high levels from the blood work, were
borderline high, nothing off the charts and nothing low.  She said his urine
concentration was low.  She gave me some valium (for the dog, I think
 ) and
told me to administer if he has another seizure within 24 hours of vet visit or
if seizure lasts for more than 5 minutes. So far, so good this morning. I gave
him 1 cup of food at 7:00 this morning without Kyro Syrup, normal bowel
movement and urination, normal water consumption. He?s still uncoordinated, and
off balance occasionally, and I can see what appears to be mini-events, he
twiches his head, kind of looks lost, loses his balance then catches himself
ususally before falling all the way down. He doesn?t appear to be in pain and
is very interested in anything to eat. He is at work with me now, and I have
food for him to nibble on through out the day. It seems if I can keep his
attention, he acts more normal. He is still in good spirits, but has VERY
selective hearing, meaning he?s not paying much attention to me if something
else is more interesting.

He's 12-1/2 years old now, so I'm not surprised at this, but I have no
experience whatsoever with seizures or convulsions.  I've sent the documents
from Chappelle over to Dr. Shackleford, we'll be seeing him late this
afternoon.  Any input or advise you might have would be welcome.  "