[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Show grooming

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: holly@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:43:28 EDT

In a message dated 5/19/2005 9:56:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
holly@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Which  can we discuss?  I'm very lucky I have a handler who grooms for
me, I  just show up to a show with a clean dog and she fluffs for me but
I'd love  to learn more.  I'll also ask her.

Holly
Derry,  NH

This is a fun subject:)  My handlers groom too, but....I noticed  early on
that owners would be standing around with a clean dog waiting for their
handler
to do it, and the dogs would get groomed and fluffed alright but it just
made more sense to me to work on it at home, get good at it, bring my own stuff

to the shows, spend all the time in the world I wanted to on MY dog and hand
the  handler a freshly groomed dog right when it's time for them to go in.
Nobody has ever complained when I've done that <VBG>.

Long before my dogs even get to a show, I'm fooling with shampoos and spray
bottles, smoothing cowlicks, sculpting feet (where would I be without a
grinder???).  It's a given that there hasn't been a perfect dog born yet,  so I
learned to stand back with a critical eye, see what I wanted more of or  less
of;
fluff here, take hair away there, brush up over here, slick down
there....etc. In order to do that ("fix something") AND to highlight the
outstanding
merits of a particular dog, IMO you need an honest assessment of the  dog...and
practice!  You need to know what shampoo, volumizer and/or shine  product works
best on a particular coat. Does your dog look better bathed  two days before
the show, the day before or soaked to the skin the morning of?  ...and that
can change with the time of year and/or at different times in a  bitch's cycle.

I just get itchy to fix things when I see a bunch of dogs all blown up like
wood ticks without thought to whatever it is than could have been "fixed" or
made to look not so obvious with a little time, product and know-how:))))

Does anybody remember the Lamar tape with him talking about a metal comb  and
a spray bottle <G>?  You just can't do all that in a few minutes  the day of
the show, and realistically, I don't expect my handler to do it when  they are
showing a bunch of other dogs.

....besides, it gives me something to do and calms my nerves  <G>.

Kathy
three generations of Champions live  here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_