[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Show fees / show dogs

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Susan Madlung" <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>, PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx, JParker0127@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:10:40 -0500

I understand what you are saying..but I think I know what is "show"
quality. I cannot make that determination at 12-16 weeks of age. At that
point..they have promise. when I evaluate for "show" I look at
movement...if the person want a Specialty type dog. I ask the person..what
they have to have..what they can live without...I ask for specifics. when I
select an all-breed dog for a client. I place more emphasis on type..clean
coming and going...and standing..movement more balanced. I think some are
better than others at puppy evaluation...remember...every dog I have
finished I selected as a young puppy..I haven't shown anything that hasn't
finished... Also...here is something to think about. while back I sold a
8mos old male show puppy that had much promise...for whatever reason(long
story) he didn't work out for the family. when I got him home..he didn't
look like the same dog I had sold..His movement looked like crap...his
attitude sucked.. at that point I doubted if he were even "showable"
Well...I got him back on good food...I groomed him...he wasn't crated
anymore like he had been..and within 3 weeks he was back to looking and
acting and moving like his old self. I have seen some dogs deteriorate in
the care of some people. Handlers will tell you..they can send a dog home
with some..for a short a time as two to three weeks..get it back and it
looks like crap..why is that???? could it be that some dogs sold as
showable..that didn't turn out..would have turned out in the care of
someone who knew what they were doing...I and other breeders have noticed
this before.C.Grainger

<JParker0127@xxxxxxx>; <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>