[ SHOWGSD-L ] Show business

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:53:03 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/07 8:38:21 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
gsprock@xxxxxxx writes:
The lion  may be the king of the
jungle, but in an animal rescue
center in Rajasthan the roaring
cats are at the mercy of two  German
Shepherds who stand guard in shifts
to ensure the  safety of 31 lions, 19 tigers
and a tigon (cross between lion and  tiger)

Years ago, we sold a German shepherd to an Animal Park to work with the
tigers.  The dog's name was Ducalian.  We went to visit him when he  was about
six
months old, and he was living with the tigers, (when someone was  with them)
and he was a good looking dog, but the tiger pups were about 600  pounds.

The trainer told us when he got up in the morning and went to the kennels
the  dog saw him and thought "friend." When the Tigers looked at him they
thought, "meat". His job was to convince the tigers that he was not meat, and
that
the dog was in charge. Since the dog was much smarter, the dog learned it
quickly, but it took a while for the tigers to get it.

Years later we saw Circus of The Stars on television, and there was a  German
shepherd in the ring with four giant Siberian Tigers. Off camera we  heard,
"Duke, move them left, now circle them, now right."  As the animals  moved
about in the ring.

There was Ducalian, the King of the Circus Ring, and moving the   tigers who
evidently knew he was the boss.

Evan  (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/