[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Show Photographer question - what am I missing?

  • From: WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx
  • To: GretchAnya@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 20:52:11 EDT

Becky, sorry to hear you have to go through that  :(

I know the "old days" the photographers shot only 35mm and had to trust in
folks and sent the photos for them to view and pay and keep or return without
copying.  Now with Digital, and so many online, there really is no need for
good people like you to have to worry about crappy photos and getting burned
like that and having to pay deposits... that's crazy!!!

I was the first professional photographer in all of our region not to
mention i think in the whole USA to sit ringside with my laptop and have  the
digital photos available for everyone to view, if they didn't get to it, we
sure
tried at the dinner afterwards  :)
No method is without flaws,  however, now with websites hosting the photos,
folks can go home from the show  and with a good quick photographer, like
myself whom dedicates all her time to  providing the best i can for you guys, i
get
the photos on my site within days  and everyone can order at their
convenience.

I did the NASS last year, took.... what.... 4000 photos, i had them up and
running between 1 and 5 days.  I did the WORLD MASTERS Sch Tournament, took
about the same amount of photos, they were being loaded each night i was there
and then i got them all up by 5 days.  Turn around time is 3-5 days from
ordering... so no one has to wait 3 weeks from a show to see their photos.

The Canadian Sieger show hired me in August and they never hired a
professional prior and were very impressed not only with my dedication up at
6am  out
til 10pm and working in the rain, sun, heat, humidity, without a peep from  me
and the fact i uploaded photos each night at the hotel.  Mind you i  have to
cut, crop and sign them after making sure i ONLY post the flattering  photos
that represent our sport/show ring in a positive manner.

Club shows, specialty shows, i usually have the photos up before folks get
home....  again, everyone just has to hop online and visit my site
_http://designsbydawnmarie.lifepics.com/net/Pro/Default.aspx_
(http://designsbydawnmarie.lifepics.com/net/Pro/Default.aspx)    and go from
there.  From time to time,
there might be an error but  i stay on top of it  :)

For folks without internet, i have  mailed them 4x6 printed proofs to choose
from so that way no one has to worry  about taking a crappy pic they dont like
and i dont have to chase someone down  for the money or the photo back  :)

Its a shame more folks dont utilize the digital way its quick to upload,
quick to get the photos back from ordering and you dont have to worry about
dealing with crappy pics  :)   Many of the local clubs i still  only charge
gas...
 the big clubs, pay for my hotel, expense to get there  and i give them what
they need for advertising their event.

Perhaps getting the word out to the clubs hosting the event with the
photographers robbing these innocent folks, maybe they will start hiring
photographers that care about their work and their clients (pretty much hiring
those who
actually show and work with the breed of choice)  The WDA member  clubs seem
to do well hiring photographers whom actually show and breed because  they
know how to actually get the dog in the best shot  :)

Good luck  girl....  i am still around if you need me  :)

DM
_http://hometown.aol.com/designsdawnmarie/home.html_
(http://hometown.aol.com/designsdawnmarie/home.html)

In a message dated 9/3/2008 11:28:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
gretchanya@xxxxxxx writes:

This is a long and belabored story, but I will do my best to  cut to the
chase.

During the last 2 years, I have returned  three photos to one particular
photographer in this area (out of how many, I  am not sure) - mainly because
they
were horrible. Apparently, because I have  returned three, the photographer is
no longer willing to take photos of my  dogs without a $10 non-refundable
deposit for a "proof" that will be mailed to  me.

Now to the good part, I discovered all of this after a  weekend of specialing
a male at all-breeds. The same photographer who had just  finished taking the
BOB shots of my dog that weekend had mailed me the  letter.

I called him right away. He explained that his policy is that  after three
returned photos (over ANY time period) he requires a $10  non-refundable
deposit
for all future photos - even if you do not end up  buying them.

I told him that I now understood, but did not agree (this  is his job, after
all). I then asked about the photos he had taken over the  weekend. He said he
would send them and would institute his "policy" after  that.

Instead, a few days later, I received an invoice for $10 for each  "proof" of
my dog's BOBs. I figured he forgot our agreement for these photos,  tossed
the invoice in the trash, made a mental note not to allow this photog  to any
of
my club's shows. I was bummed not to see the images of my dog's  BOBs, but am
totally unwilling to pay for crappy photos - especially since  this is a dog
I am specialing and already have lots of NICE photos  of.

Please note that I do not randomly have photos taken and then not  buy them.
I only have them done for particularly nice wins or really good  judges, where
I think I can use the images for advertising  later.

Anyway, to date, I have not seen the BOB images from that  weekend. Today, I
received another $10 invoice for the same "proofs" that I  have yet to see. I
called the photog again. He explained that since we talked  about the images,
he assumed I wanted them. I reminded him of our chat and  said I did not want
the images. He got quite angry, said he would "make a note  in the file" and
hung up.

So here's my question: Is this a policy any  of you have experience with when
dealing with an all-breed photog? I have  NEVER heard of such a thing, but
it's quite possible that I am not at the  all-breeds enough to have seen this
before.

If you haven't heard of  this, do you have any advice? I am really POd.

Thanks for  listening.

?Becky T.  Dickson

www.GretchAnya.com

www.GSDbyDesign.com

POST  is Copyrighted 2007.  All material remains the property of the original
kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND of the

FORBIDDEN,
AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW.  VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE -  www.showgsd.org

deal here.