[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Shoulders opening - where are they?

  • From: PlushPuppyOhio <plushpuppyohio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amaleen@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:55:06 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you!   Watch where the foot touches ground....not how far it reaches in
mid-air.  I know there is a lot more to it than that... but it's just one way
of trying to get people to see movement differently.  Some dogs appear to have
their foot way out in front of their nose (when played in slow motion.... one
benefit of the National tapes) but when that dog actually touches ground....
the foot is back behind the jaw bone somewhere in it's neck-line.

That's not a good front.  How can that dog even begin to cover ground?

Sean

Daleen Dunphy <amaleen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:More and more I have been noticing ads
in the Review, pics on web sites
and/or people posting pics of their dogs gaiting showing no shoulder opening.

I am seeing dogs lifting/moving out from their elbows. I hear/read some say
"look at that front" only because they are seeing the dogs foot out by
(pass) the dogs nose.

Are these fronts becoming so much of the norm that people believe this to
be correct?

A couple of months ago there was a photo in the Review of a dog gaiting. I
just had to show this pic to my son to see if he noticed it. Sure enough
he pointed out and said " the leg is sticking out from the elbow and it
doesn't look like the elbow has even moved". My young grasshopper is learning
well

I know judging dogs from pics can be very hard and so much of what we see
as in the movement depends on the second of the gait when the photo is
taken - and I know getting the pic at the right time showing the dog
fully opened (when they are correct) is not easy. But I sure would rather
see the "correct" than a wrong timing of movement leaving
people going "hmmmm".

ok off my soap box

Daleen

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original