[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Should Futurities be changed??????????????

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <Scharo777@xxxxxxx>, <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 11:21:03 -0700

I agree with Evan.   Keep it easy and if anything  make it easier to get to a
Futurity.
Many of the suggestions and complaints are coming from some who admit they
think they
are pointless and therefore they do not participate.
Those of us that do enjoy them and do show in them......just keep going to them
if we can
and if we are allowed to.
<G>
Regarding showing  only in your own Region.....there are a couple of things to
think about.
( Because we get a nice black dog now and then.....I am aware of this one
issue...and I am
sure those with sables occasionally run into the same issue.
( NO .....we are NOT  "breeders of blacks".......we just get them occasionally
)    <G>
Anyway........as an example....I hear more than a few judges say they don't
care for blacks,
( or sables ...or big dogs....or small dogs....or extreme dogs....) ....and IF
you had a really nice
black or sable or whatever .....and one of those judges were judging your
"Regional  Futurity"
what would you do if you could only show "regionally"??
I know what we would do........NOT SHOW.    Why bother......??
The Parent Club or Futurities would lose a couple of entries because we just
would not show!!
This same issue covers many facets of the breed,  from extreme mover.....or
not... to booked
handlers or your only vacation....or job issues.......whatever....??
It is nice to know that we have a choice as I sure hate to think of some of the
 animals that
COULD NOT  and therefore WOULD NOT be shown because the owner has to stay
regional
only.
Exactly what is the point of that.....or how would it help the Futurities?
WHY does it matter if
a dog comes from another Region?    If it's a great dog.......enjoy getting to
see it.
If the handler is over priced.......find one that is not.    If the judge in
your region would not like
your dog or your handler....find one who will consider the dog!    If you don't
like the Futurities.
allow us who do show in them to exhibit where we choose.....or not choose.
Don't make a concerned Futurity Chair work overtime trying to please those who
don't like the
Futurities anyway with a litany of complaints.
We could all do that about All Breeds,  Specialties,  Rally,  Herding, the
National....etc.
IF they are getting smaller and we have to overhaul the whole system......that
would have to apply
to many things right now in this economy......listen to the Sports,  AKC,  CKC,
anything that costs
money and is not a NECESSITY is facing difficult times......including all of us
that show in ANY venue.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

  Scharo777@xxxxxxx writes:
  The rest  has been discussed all year and I would say the country is divided
about  50 50 .

  I will again throw out my suggestions.

  I often try to think "outside the box."

  Assume if you will, that the problem is that overall the entry is so small.
   So, if we want to have regional shows, it isn't going to happen since few
  bitches are shipped any longer, so regional litters no longer reflect the
  stud  dogs in the area.

  If we want to showcase young puppies we have to make it easier to show, not
   harder.

  Increase the futurities held, and make it easier to get to them.

  My suggestion, which I have given to Carole and many others is to have a
  futurity in each state and two in large states like Texas, California or New
  York. Then the states would be divided into regions, (maybe as they now
  are, and  only the winners go the regionals).  From the regionals, those
  winners  would go to the national.

  What does that do?

  1.   It gives more people the ability to go to a futurity.

  2.   It adds more futurities to link with regional shows to  increase
  entries at the shows.

  3.  It makes for regional winners an incentive to go to the  semi-finals.

  4.  It gives more clubs the chance to sponsor the futurities.

  5.   With more shows, the incentive to charge more to handle  should
  reduce. It might go up for the semi-finals, but that would be those who
already
  won.

  6.  It would give our parent club more income because those entered in  a
  total would increase.

  I have suggested this many times. Everyone who wants less regions responds
  they want to reduce the regions. Those who no longer breed just say to
  leave it  as it is.  Those who attend the futurities say they don't mind
driving
  to  Utah or Phoenix for a futurity.

  What do you say?

  Evan  Ginsburg
  Asgard German Shepherds
  http://www.asgardgsd.com/
  Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together