[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Short croups??

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <adonispersian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 11:49:33 -0700

Croups and backs are like the transmission/differential in a car/truck. Both
need to be good to be able to accept and transmit the rear drive, but faulty,
either can impede/inhibit the rear propulsion.

Croup issues are visible a number of ways -- but be aware the way the handler
shows the dog, the type of lead and speed they use can help mask this or make a
dog appear to be less faulty in croup than they are -- the only true way to
know how well a dog is moving, is on a loose lead, and then watch how the dog
transitions from walk, to dead slow trot, to slow trot to an open trot (fast).
The best dogs always have 3 speeds, but their best speed shouldn't be the
fastest -- add looking for how a dog transitions the different speeds (easy to
do if you make them start dead slow and loose, by the time they've turned the
corner for home, you've seen the transitions) -- and gait them long enough to
know that their bodies are feeling the work and the hype of getting them ready
to go in the ring is starting to wear down -- lots of foolers have won because
they only were required to make it around the ring 3 times before being awarded:

Flat Croup -- generally will kick up on the follow through.. the shorter the
croup, the higher the finishing kick up.. on a loose lead -- they also don't
really get super far under themselves, so their rear is like tippy toeing -- on
a loose lead. On a tighter lead, this can be masked by them pulling into the
lead -- looks pretty, because you can make them look like they're coming under
themselves and the pulling doesn't allow them to fully "kick up" ... but it's
terribly faulty, reminds me of an akita in motion (you can't get much shorter
and flatter in the croup than breeds like this). The other thing, the pulling
allows them to look like they have a better topline in motion -- the best dogs
will maintain their topline without pulling.

Steep Croup -- generally gets under themselves very well, but following through
is not always great, their hocks may or may not open fully depending on the
amount of rear angulation. Loose leads or a "slight" bit of tension works for
these dogs along with knowing the "right speed" because depending on the actual
amount of hock flexation that they exhibit (rear drive). If they are mowing
the grass with their hocks, they tend to have a "suspended" movement because
they move more up than forward with each stroke of the rear.

Length of croup can accentuate or deemphasizes the situations described above,
depending on the degree of angle deficiency from ideal we're talking about. A
long, flatter croup, will still kick up, but to a lesser degree. A longer
steeper croup, may or may not accentuate the level of locked up in the rear the
dog is, depending again on how much rear they have.. more rear, likely more
locked up. Short, steep croups... well I can't speak on it totally.. I would
imagine hocks kicking up but not following through, not pretty. And of course,
there are always exceptions to the generalities.

Now -- here is the kicker on all of this -- Flexion of croup. Ideally, the
croup is a moving part of the skeleton like the rest of the body -- there is a
problem in the breed where the pelvis is fixed and does not have the ability to
flex -- meaning, ideally a dog with a good croup, will have the ability for
their croup to flex while in motion, so that their rear drive engages and the
croup changes it's angle... which is why you can not gauge how good or bad a
croup is fully, unless you watch them with a critical eye while they moving
loose. I'll use Lilly Marlene as an example -- standing 4 square, you'd think
her croup was steep ... long but steep. Set up, it didn't look that way at all
-- in motion, her croup had flex, and it allowed her superior rear drive to
propel her forward with an amazing degree of "free" forward movement .. aka her
rear pushed off hard (hocks fully opened) it transmitted through her long,
properly angled group in motion, through her back and there was a "scoot"
period .. where each forward movement resulted forward propulsion that all 4
were off and moving forward before the next step where they engaged to
powerfully move her forward. Hard to describe, but watching her ... it was
pretty amazing. not sure if this is helpful at all, but there is my opinion on
it.