[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Short Heat Cycles

  • From: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: shebland@xxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:50:28 EST

In a message dated 12/7/07 7:02:14 AM, shebland@xxxxxxxx writes:

<< If a bitch cycles every 3.5 to 4 months, what are the chances of her
conceiving and whelping a litter?
I would like to hear any experiences breeders have had with bitches like this.
Thanks,
Darlene >>

In my experience the chance of her conceiving is zero.  My seven year old
would come in season every 3 1/2 to 4 months.  I had her checked out from stem
stern and everything in between. Ran every test imaginable on her and all
came back normal.  This was done by my own vet and one of the top repro vets in
my area. In a last attempt, we put her on Cheques to keep her out of season for
six months.  Took her off and when she came back into season, did
progesterone testing and bred her. Nothing.  So she is now a happy, spaded
couch potato.
She was the last of my original bloodlines so it was devastating for me not
to be able to get pups from her. Her mother, grandmother and great grandmother
were all easy breeders and whelpers but her sister also was not very
successful at conceiving. Her first litter was a lit of one and the second
breeding
produced one puppy that died in-utero. Guess it was just not meant to be. Am
now
starting over with my young male champion from different bloodlines and have
leased two bitches - one is now in whelp.  Yea!!!!

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Rohan's Reward TC, HT
aka "Strider"<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR>Check out
AOL's list of 2007's hottest
products.<BR>(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)</HTML>