[ SHOWGSD-L ] Shiloh featured in Dog World

  • From: <blackoakdogs@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:49:48 -0500

I have to step in and say in UKC's defense that they will not consider
registering this "breed" anytime in the near future. They consider it to be a
mutt like labradoodles etc. albeit a relatively conforming one. I don't think
you could consider this to be a purebred shepherd since there have just not
been enough generations to so radically change everything about it except for
the general "GSD type" look. There has to be other stuff besides GSDs in there.

Heck UKC has allowed white GSD to become their own breed but recognizes that
the gene pool is not large enough and has not closed their studbook off from
GSD crossbreedings yet. Whites have the option of registering as either white
or colored depending on which breed standard the breeder feels more closely
matches. Yes UKC white reg. GSD have a different breed standard than colored.
It is very weird being in the ring and having a white show up in with you.

I don't think shilohs can compare anywhere close in numbers to whites yet. UKC
requires at least 16 generations with no outcross from breeds originating in
the USA.

Margaret
Corsair GSD & AE