[ SHOWGSD-L ] Shiloh Shepherd REAL Origin -garbage

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:04:14 EDT

In a message dated 3/21/2007 9:34:00 PM Central Standard Time,
epeningt@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
The first one I saw was in Germany in 1971..so not something new....if you
talked to their owner you found out they were the FIRST German Shepherds.
Sometimes books and people don't tell the WHOLE story.

---------------------------------------

Lets not rewrite history.  The history of the GSD can be found in many books
on the breed, and it has never been anything close to what Tina Barbar bred.
If there are people in Germany that claim their grossly oversized long coated
dogs are "the first German Shepherds," then they are either lying or they are
completely ignorant about our breed.  At one point in the beginning, Von
Stephanitz and his peers bred some Anatolian Shepherd into the GSD, and taller
dogs
began to become popular, but he made it clear that the breed was not supposed
to be so large or so square when he made Klodo Sieger.  You can read about it
in Von Stephanitz's own book, or check any Standard ever applied to the
German Shepherd Dog.  This has always been a medium sized breed, and long coats
have always been considered faulty.

I put in my time debating Tina Barbar and other Shiloh people several years
ago online, and it frustrates me to see this topic, and some of the old Shiloh
claims come up on this list on occasion.  That online debate led the way to a
major rift within the Shiloh ranks, and thankfully also led to some truths
about their dogs being made public.  Then, and now, I admired the passion many
of
their group had for their dogs, but they had a lot to learn about breeding
dogs in general at that time.  Some of them did, and that was the good that
came
of those old AOL Bulletin Board GSD/Shiloh wars.  My problem at that time was
with how they used every malady a GSD ever had as a method to sell their
dogs.  I believed they were taking advantage of people who were unfortunate
enough
to have had a problem GSD by stating that their dogs did not have things like
HD.  Yes, they had an x-ray program, and Tina Barbar was reading and grading
the x-rays.  After that battle, they began to use the OFA, and the last time I
looked, the Shiloh had a higher rate of HD than the GSD did, which makes
sense because of their size.  I don't know where they have gone now, and I
don't
care.  I have no interest in the Shiloh beyond making it clear that the Shiloh
is not what a GSD was, or ever was supposed to be.  Way back then, they wanted
separate breed status, but claimed that their lines were 100% GSD.  There was
serious question as to whether or not that was true, but if it was, my
opinion on separate breed status is no different from what it is on whites.

Tom Langlitz