[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sheree's post

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 13:22:33 -0700 (PDT)

I used to sit and watch the Basque sheepherders for hours as my ex was a
geologist who spent much time climbing over the moraines in the area. The ones
I watched had two types of dogs - the guardians and the herders. The guardians
were large and white (think Pyrenees style), the herders were some version of a
BC/Ausie/kelpie style of dog - the only thing that mattered was their ability
and not their looks. They would definitely NEVER see a dog show.
If we actually believe that dog shows are a means of determining breed
worthiness then no dog with a serious fault should ever win. And people who
breed for a specific breed should never breed faults/DQ faults. But people are
people and this dog sport is less of a means of evaluating a good dog and more
of a show every day.

Ruth