[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Shepherds in the UK and USA

  • From: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:26:57 -0500

I will stick to my statement that the breed does not have the best
reputation.   I am not referring to previous owners....I am referring to
people who think "they walk funny," and the MANY people I have heard refer
to show Shepherds as "mommy mommy  dogs" because
they have seen them whine and cry and try to find their owner when the owner
is doubling and can't be seen right away.

   I think it's wonderful that y'all keep finding people who think the breed
is in great shape and that you know so many people who used
to have one and want one now.  I know judges who don't understand the breed
at all (and anyone on here who was on Judges-L during
the gait discussion last year will have to admit that's true)........in
spite of the standard's description of gait, there are people who insist
that the breed MUST sidewind if it gaits the way the standard
describes..........and more.

     And if the breed was perceived as the second coming, why does it appear
on more than a few lists of banned breeds?

This has nothing to do with Westminster or with the AKC registration
numbers....it has to do with the AR groups winning the battle
if anyone has the erroneous perception that we've beaten them, I have a
bridge to sell you...please call now.

Peggy