[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Shepherds in the UK and USA

  • From: Jackie Short <marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:08:37 -0600

Not surprised.
My honest thought is that there are not enough show dogs (German or
American) out doing more sports or work.  The venue is dominated by the more
drivey working lines.

In my area, if you include Strauss, there are only three GSDs being run in
agility.  All are German.

You will see the occasional German Showline working as a K9, American dogs
doing such work are practically non existent.

Average buyers are searching for a "functional dog" and they do not perceive
American dogs to be functional.  There is no denying that there are those
that are not functional, whether it be through being too extremely built, a
temperament (and thus character) flaw, a drive issue, or combinations of any
of the aforementioned.
--
Jackie