[ SHOWGSD-L ] Shepherds in the UK and USA

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:56:14 EST

In a message dated 11/18/09 2:41:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

We  already know that the public opinion of our breed is that of a bunch of
 crippled dogs...and of crazy people racing around the outside of the show
ring.

I don't know that, and sure don't agree with it.

I see the public every day. When I say that I show German shepherds, the
first thing I hear is how they loved their German shepherd, and the second is
 how much they would like to get another.

The AR people want to give the impression that all everyone sees is
crippled dogs, and that is not true. It remains one of the most popular breeds,

and the vast majority of the public has nothing but good things to say about
our  breed. And, if we are so crazy in the ring, why does Westminster gain
new  viewers every year?

I reject those who want to say how terrible people think of our  breed.  I
may be talking to the wrong people, but last week in court the  prosecutor
told me how much she and her husband want a German shepherd puppy. We  have
twice the calls for puppies that we can place, and I seldom hear negative
comments about the breed, except for someone who tells me about what others
say.

I am not picking on the post, I see it all the time. But, the German
shepherd remains one of the top five most popular breeds and has never lost
that
position. It is not because most or even many people think the dog is
crippled.

We are doing the best we can for the breed, and we are winning.  Look  at
the commercials that now use dog shows. Look at the increase in dog food.
Look at the magizine articles with people and their dogs.  PETA is loud and
obnoxious, but we are doing a great job. We must keep on doing it, but we are
 winning.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/