[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Shepherds in the UK

  • From: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:45:17 -0500

Please note that in my original post, I said "and I wonder...with the state
of dogs and dog showing here, and our own addictions to double handling and
professional handlers (truly minor items in the greater scheme of
things)...I wonder how long it will be before the AKC decides to do
something  like this"

      You must also realize that this is not a decision the KC came to
easily.  This was simply a reaction to complaints engendered by
scenes shown in the television program "Pedigree Dogs Exposed," inspired by
health nazis.......and jumped on, immediately, by
the AR groups.

     Our club's relationship with the AKC has, as of now, nothing to do with
it.

    I've been writing about bad legislation and AR groups for years...and
Stormy's been right behind me...posting all the time about proposed
legislation, etc., and for the most part, the dog fancy has ignored these
warnings...the actions being taken by the KC in the UK
are a direct result of people playing ostrich and thinking "it won't bother
me."  Yes, it will...maybe not today, but not too far down the road.

      Our legislators, for the most part, at every level, in the majority of
the country, buy into the AR spiel.....because we are silent.  How many of
us consider the AR positions of the people we vote for?  Do we even ask them
how they feel about MSN, etc.?  I bet not.

    So, while Dave may think that it is a good idea for the club to approach
AKC to try to "understand the dynamics of what is happening" would be, right
now, useless.  AKC vocally supports the efforts of those fighting anti-dog,
anti-breeder legislative proposals...but it is up to US...you and me, not to
the AKC.    We don't need to interact with AKC to prevent the AR groups from
taking over...at
least not in more than the most peripheral way.   AKC is on our side...but
basically only as it applies to itself...there's no short term money to be
raised by fighting bad legislation...so it is not a front row item.  They
will assist us, I guess...but in the end, it's on our own heads.

      BTW -- none of this is new.  Not the AR movement, not the situation in
Britain...and not my (and Stormy's and others) telling you that it is up to

Peggy

From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>