[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sheila's Post

  • From: Shofar Shepherds <shofar_k9s@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:33:00 -0800 (PST)

Kathy, it's perfectly okay that we don't see eye-to-eye on this as long as the
dog comes out all right in the end.  But just so we're understanding each
other, I often go to a home several times a week. In my opinion, and here I
agree with Shelia, once there is a working relationship established between
owner and dog, and the dog understands the basic commands, then it is time for
distraction training -- in a GOOD class, if available.  And like at-home
trainers, there are the good and the bad.
I see where you're coming from on having a trainer use a dog for demo purposes.
My experience has shown me that owners often become frustrated when they don't
'get' what is being taught, and they often blame the dog.  "He's stupid."  or
"He's stubborn".  As you so correctly pointed out, you and me and 99% of this
list could put hands on a green dog and have it working in five minutes.
Sometimes an owner has to see his own dog doing well before realizing that it
is they, and not the dog, that has the problem.

Leslye Morrow
Shofar Shepherds and Shelties
http://www.geocities.com/shofar_k9s