[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sheep Help!

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 05:55:28 -0700 (PDT)

Tari,

  Kathy is right about the numbers of sheep. You need at least 3 or 4 to make a
little flock. If you try herding with 2 you will just teach your dog to chase
sheep. The more sheep you have to work the less pressure it puts on the dog
because the group will behave like a flock.

  They need lots of care and can cost $$$$$$ dollars to vet. You will have to
shear them yourself because you will never find someone to come out to do 2
sheep. The eat and poop constantly and do not care where they do it :0) Your
doggies will soon love sheep droppings and have the flying shits all the time.
When the sheep die you will need to hire a back hoe to come dig the hole. I
paid for this one time for Ruth  and it cost 150.00.

  A good person to ask about the care and feeding of 2 sheep would be Ruth
Scheubler she did it for years. her email is www.rightdog.com

  We now drive out to Brigans Hideout to herd sheep.

  But long story short is that 2 sheep are more work than they are worth and
and not enough sheep to teach your dog to herd.

  Terry

Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 9/13/2007 7:55:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
chsweetsun@xxxxxxx writes:
HI,
I'm trying to convince my husband that I NEED 2 sheep.? We have the
property, as well as the area all figured out and fenced in, even.? I would
love to
bring that aspect to my training program as?I found out my 2 dogs are great
herders, but, Karl feels that Sheep are 1) Noisy,? 2) Stinky, and 3) Alot of
Work-I know they are work, but "Alot" would be >2 hours a day?.? We found the
Perfect Sheep as they are born with Anatolian Shepherds and are Very Dog
oriented.? Anyone willing to help me out?

Tari Kridler

2 sheep? Gosh, you need more than 2 if you are going to work dogs lol .

BTW, I take your husband's side on this. Anything with hoofs, (i.e.
horses) I'd rather pay board than have them where I live and as expensive as
herding can be for the travel and time with sheepies, I think the cost comes
out
cheap when you think of the space, care, occasional vet bills and overall
nuisance involved.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds