[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: She writes again - my personal experience

  • From: Erynbrook@xxxxxxx
  • To: CDRHVN@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:42:14 EST

Let me tell all of you a story about Syd that will illustrate (for those  who
don't already knw) what kind of person Syd really is.

In 2000 I traveled to Oregon to attend the Futurity being hosted by the  GSDC
of Oregon. I took my black dog, Erynbrook's Blackmail (Dylan), who  was  ente
red in 12-18 for the 2 shows and Intermediate at the Futurity. I  knew not one
soul who lived there, but off Dylan and I went. Dylan loved it all,  from his
first 2 flights to the rental car to the elevator in the hotel.
We showed up at the show site the next day, brought out the  chair, and found
an empty spot
near the ring. Of course I knew a lot of people in the ring, but very few
outside the ring. When 12-18 was over (Dylan went out with the dump group), we
settled down to watch the show. Our handler Maggie Marshall stayed busy in the
 ring so we were pretty much on our own.

A few feet away from our lonely outpost a group of women friends were
gathered, watching the show and having a whole lot of fun. Their laughter was
infectious and I couldn't help but listen a bit. Soon I heard rather strange
sounds emanating form their gathering -- they were having a burping contest!
Eventually one of them looked my way and said something jokingly apologetic
and we
exchanged the "where are you from" pleasantries. Before long we were
chatting and they invited me to move my chair over and join them. I remember
Syd
saying she liked my dog, not because he was a black (there are a few out  there
who like a black for the color), but because he had a really nice shoulder
etc. I distinctly recall that she said when she sees a black she asks herself
if
she would like him as much if he were black and tan, and that in Dylan's
case she would.

The next day's judge was Barbara Williams and we were fortunate enough to  go
2nd in a quality-filled 12-18 class. But the third day was the Futurity  with
Henry judging and I really wanted to go home with wood. I'd been able to
double Dylan by myself the first 2 days, but of course on the day of the
Futurity there were even more people present and the area immediately around
the
ring had deteriorated significantly.  After the individuals  in the
Intermediate
class were finished, the race began and as I started to run. Soon  Dylan was
in 5th place - close, but not close enough. It was nearly impossible  to run
the ring without watching the ground (there was one hole big enough to  lose a
leg in), which of course made it hard to watch the dog to know when to  call.
Syd and her group saw my problem immediately. The dogs were getting a  little
bored and really needed the doubling now. As I ran I heard Syd's group
shouting out directions: "Susan, call him -- call him again! OK run! Call him
now!
Stop - right there!" They guided me through the rest of the class as Dylan
got moved up not once but twice and clapped when Dylan got his wood for third
place.

I've been showing for more than 30 years, have helped a lot of friends and
newbies double their dogs over the years, but never will I forget the kindness
of strangers at that show. Had it not been for their help I wouldn't be
looking  at Dylan's wood on my wall with all the others. That is what good
sportsmanship  is all about, folks. And Syd and her friends are indeed the
epitome of
good  sports. To the author of that anonymous email I say "you do not know
whereof you speak."

Front Range  German Shepherd Rescue