[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sharing bloat/torsion information

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 07:00:32 -0500 (EST)

Good post Paulette:)

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 1/23/2012 5:32:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Morgan  writes:  "Might make that have/had autoimmune diseases; if everyone
 "tacks" their animals how are you going to know, what might have
happened??"

Morgan, tacking does not prevent bloat.  It just gives  one more time to
get the dog to the vet because it often, but not always,  prevents gastric
volvulus.  Bloat without volvulus can be, and often is,  fatal.  Seeing how the
only thing tacking may do is prevent a bloated  stomach from twisting, I
don't how tacking keeps one from knowing what "might  have happened."   One
knows what might have happened...  The  dog might have torsioned as well as
bloated.  Except in rare cases, the  dog bloats and then the stomach twists,
not the other way around.   Volvulus is a *consequence* of gastric bloating,
so I've never understood the  reasoning behind the statement Morgan has
made.  And he's not the only  one who has made such a statement.

In general, I'm not a proponent  of prophylactic tacking; however, if I
neuter/spay a GSD, I will ask that they  be tacked at that time.  I also ask
that a "belt-loop" pexy be performed  as that is the strongest pexy.  From
experience, I can say that this pexy  does not add that much to the overall
recovery time.  One more thing, a  "belt-loop" pexy should only be performed by
a Board Certified Surgeon or  someone with *extensive* experience.  In the
case of an emergency surgery  for bloat/torsion, and the Vet is not
experienced in performing the belt-loop  pexy, the stomach should be tacked on
the
right side to the abdominal  wall.  NEVER agree to a "mid line" pexy.  That
is the "cheap" way  out and is often recommended by Vets without much
surgical experience.   This is the weakest of the pexy techniques.  Also, if
the
dog ever needs  abdominal surgery again, a mid line pexy would make the
subsequent surgery  trickier.

BTW, in case folks are wondering, tacking the stomach will in  *no way*
prevent mesenteric torsion.

PaulETTE McGuirt, GSDCA  Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem  Meam

Might make that have/had autoimmune diseases; if  everyone "tacks" their
animals how are you going to know, what might have  happened??

Morgan Lewis, RPh.
Member GSDCA
President Last  Hope of Georgia 501c3
"So Much to Do, So Little  Time"