[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sharing an answer to "stumped for an answer" about expensive dog foods

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Showgsd-l' <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 15:33:45 -0400

Well Ann, sometimes I wonder if we've created a "Monster" with all the
fussing and primping that we do.  Are our shepherds really the hearty,
strong breed of dog that they were meant to be, or are we responsible
for producing dogs with weak systems, that are genetically programmed to
live short fragile lives?  I betcha if we left our dogs alone and
treated them as dogs instead of a "Ms. Pris" type of dog we probably
wouldn't have so many problems in the breed.  I believe that many of the
problems that we are seeing in our breed is Man Made including health
problems, temperament problems, longevity, structural/skeletal problems,
and yeah even the washed out pigment that people are talking about
having to dye so much.  Have modern advances and scientific research
helped our dogs live heathlier and longer lives?  Do we take them to the
vet less often?  We've spoiled them and babied them so much, we've
protected them from the elements (heck a couple of my girls don't even
want to go out in the rain for fear that they'll get their precious feet
muddy)......that they just forget what it's like being a dog.  Have we
made "sissy's" out of our noble breed?!  Best,  Barbara