[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Service Dogs and Airlines

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:24:39 -0700

Actually, they are NOT allowed to ask the person to demonstrate the
task, but only to say what it is.  "What task does your dog perform or
do?"
How can a task be demonstrated when it only happens occasionally.  Or
for a blind person, to demonstrate that the dog stops him from walking
in danger?, etc.

Storm

On Jul 8, 2011, at 8:14 AM, Zoa Rockenstein wrote:

As a psychologist, I have followed the proliferation of psychiatric
and medical assistance service dogs with interest.  I would think it
would be difficult for a person to call upon a dog to perform a task
associated with PTSD acquired in a time of war or sexual assault.  I
know someone with PTSD, with suicidal tendencies, who was driving her
car with her certified gsd psychiatric service dog loose in the back
seat.  She slipped into a different state of consciousness and began
to drive head on into a semi.  The dog licked her face and brought her
back to reality in time to avert the collision.  She is challenged
frequently to demonstrate a task that her dog does for her, including
by airline officials.  How would she do this?  It is an embarrassing
and humiliating situation for her.  Then, there are service dogs who
aid people with conditions like diabetes and epilepsy.  With changes
to a person's body chemistry, through scent, the dog can alert a
person when they need to take medication to prevent a seizure or blood
sugar incident.  How would a person demonstrate this if called upon to
do so?  It's a challenging situation.  Unfortunately, it is made worse
by people who make false claims in order to have their dogs fly in the
cabin with them or go with them into areas where dogs are prohibited.
In the blink of an eye, any of us could be in a situation where we
would legitimately need a service dog.  Let's keep that in mind...

Zoa