[ SHOWGSD-L ] Service Dogs

  • From: Halwend@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:24:32 +0000

I'm one of the people with a rescued GSD as a Service Dog. I'd trained my dog
through UD then found I had some physical problem plus diabetis etc. and a tad
of old age.  My training required SIX MONTHS of training beyond the UD work for
me to be Certified.  I'm with Florida Service Dogs, Inc. who don't shove
untrained dogs out on the street  with only a few weeks of work.  I've found
Service Dog work a whole different ball of wax from the AKC work, often
challenged by taking our dogs into very public places.  I don't need to take my
dog into an employment situation but she does go into crowded grocery stores,
department stores and attends the symphony with me.  Most of the people we meet
are friendly and helpful but, as we all know, not everybody is happy about
suddenly meeting up with a big black shepherd  in the meat department or the
doctor's office.
\Not everybody dog owner is equiped to train it for a Service Dog and not every
dog, by far, is trainable for service.  They're mighty expensive when trained
by others and dogs and handlers must be carefully matched.  THE HANDLER is
ALWAYS totally responsible for the dog's behavior so it's best to TRAIN-- don't
complain--or get yourself sued or injured.
Marion