[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Serious Image Problem

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 07:26:14 -0700 (PDT)

The only way I know of to protect the image of the German Shepherd in the eyes
of the public is to get our dogs out into the public.
I know way too many people in this "sport" who have their dogs at home, at a
handler's, at dog shows, but never at the local bank, pool store, pet store,
auto repair shop, or anywhere else.

I actually manufacture reasons to take dogs with me.  I admit it is also
advertising for my training, but really, I do it with an 80 lb dog, not a small
mutt, or small breed.  People always react to seeing a GSD in the house.

I have my annual road trip to DC coming up, I must have the van serviced first,
you bet I am gonna get my act together to take a dog with me, and sit in that
stinking-like-rubber repair waiting room.  I could have one of my boys follow
me and take me home and back to pick it up, but I won't.  I will be sitting at
the shop with the dog, playing cards on the phone/pda while I wait if no one is
talking to me.  But I have yet to finish more than one hand of solitaire during
a two hour wait.

This is how our breed gets positive attention.  The PC has nothing to do with
it.

Now, if regional clubs were to organize a brunch, at an outdoor place, with
every member bringing one dog, and to see 3 or 15 or 50 GSD's at a public
place, not making trouble, with owners talking and laughing casually, I think
our breed would get some good positive press.

I can't go for too long by myself with more than one dog, I need someone to
hold dogs so I can go to a ladies room at least once.  With one dog, they can
usually fit in a stall with me.

I would love to have a monthly brunch or coffee somewhere so people can see how
great our dogs really are.
sheila