[ SHOWGSD-L ] : September Review--those were the days, my friend . . .

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>, "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 23:16:15 -0700

I agree with Iza and Barbara that it would be great to see Pedigrees.....at
least 3 generations.
But to assume there are "motives"  for not .......or it is hiding health
problems is a tad over kill.
It used to be a lot cheaper to run an Ad in the Review.    Now with the
gorgeous  full color Ads
and the expense ......every inch is used for the dog and the photo and general
information......and
usually a very "dramatic"  shot.
Not all can afford the extra page or space for the pedigree as in the
past.......particularly when the
pedigrees are so easily available on data base sites........ or e-mailed.
Still.. .I agree.....I too like seeing the breeding at least..... and
preferably 3 generations IN the Ad.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

  From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: Re: September Review
  Hey Iza:  I've been saying this for the last few years on the list about
  if you're spending all this big money to advertise your dog, why aren't
  you including his pedigree or at least his sire and dam?  I remember
  someone wrote that "If the people were interested in knowing that
  information, that they could call the owner."  I don't know about you,
  but I don't want to be calling the owner every time I see a picture of a
  handsome dog.  Viewing the pedigree with give me some of the answers
  that I need.  Maybe some of them don't have a great pedigree and figure
  if they get you to call that they can talk you into breeding to him
  anyway.  LOL!  Believe it or not, that's part of being a sly
  salesperson.  (Let me convince you how much you need what I have to
  sell.......and then WHAM' here's the deal after they've got you
  hooked)!  Oh well, "Times they are changing!"   Barbara

  Iza Kabuska-Ackerman wrote:
  > Awesome edition !  All those beautiful pictures - HOWEVER - why
  > don't the people that advertise stud dogs also state the dog's sire
  > & dam at least ???????  Don't they think breeders wonder who the dog
  > is by and out of ???  I know I do.

  I think that 20 years ago, people cared enough to put the dogs'
  pedigrees out there for all to see.  Many old ads in the Review had
  the picture on top of the page with a pedigree underneath OR a double
  page spread with both picture and pedigree.  Now, it seems more of a
  jump-on-the-bandwagon decision to use many popular stud dogs (ie the
  latest big winners) without knowing a few generations back.  And then
  we wonder why we are burdened with health problems.  Look at the
  pedigrees.  Search for clues.  We should all be students of the breed.
  Penny in NY
  We ARE what we WERE.