[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Sensitive issue

  • From: "Beryl" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:28:36 -0800

This is a topic that some of us certainly have given  a great deal of
thought to.
Before my husband died, he seemed to know even before his diagnosis that we
should consider how possible life changes could effect the number of dogs we
had, and our ability to care for them. He often brought the subject up. At
the time I didn't want to listen.
I don't recall the exact number we had at the time of his death, but it was
probably 8 to 12, plus the horses,chickens, ducks, geese, cats etc.
There was a time when I knew several people who could and would either take
dogs or care for them should it become necessary.
I no longer have the number of dogs I once had, I knew that I could not
stay on the country acreage, and care for everything that needed care by
myself. Once I got to what the legal number would be (5) for living within
the city limits, I moved.
Prior to that I did set up a written plan for my dogs with legal council.
That document is still in place.
My will is set up for some one other than my daughter's to care for the dogs
that could possibly out live me.
I have since made a decision on my own, when my last GSD is gone which will
likely be within 2 to 4 years, I will probably not get another GSD. I do
feel that it would be very difficult for me to be "dog less" for any length
of time. I would need to consider something smaller so that placing that dog
or dogs would be easier if necessary.
One of my early picture's of myself as a 10-12 month toddler, is one of me
and a dog.
Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA