[ SHOWGSD-L ] Sell to Renters

  • From: ParavelGS@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (showlist)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:07:47 +0000

Jackie writes:
But, I do suppose that people like me are few and far between, and while I
can accept and expect some criticism, I wish breeders wouldn't paint renters
with such a wide, single colored brush.  A person who rents is no more
stable/unstable than a person who owns IMO.
 - Jackie

It isn't that a person rents that can become the problem. I have had people
call me asking to help them because they got the dog and then found out the
landlord wouldn't allow the dog, so the dog had to go, or they had to move and
couldn't find a place that let them have a german shepherd. I even had a family
who bought another place and found out that the covenants didn't allow dogs
over a certain size. Instead of looking for a place that would include the dog
the dog had to go. Sad.   It can be very difficult to find rental property that
allows dogs.  When I moved to Los Alamos I found only a 3 places that would let
me have my dogs.  I don't judge a person because they rent, but am just
concerned that renting can sometimes put them in circumstances that may force
them to give up their dog.  Some people (like you) will do whatever it takes to
keep their dog, others just give up the dog.  When I have college students call
me about getting a puppy I really grill them about the
 ir ded
ication to having the dog.  What happens when they graduate and find a new job
somewhere else?  Sometimes they aren't thinking about life after college, and
that this puppy is going to live 8-12 years or more, God willing.

Sheri Chambers