[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Select Questions

  • From: RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:40:27 EDT

In a message dated 4/26/05 4:10:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxx writes:
Exactly  why would we care what other Breeds do,  and WHY do we feel the  need
to change the Selects??    Could someone please explain that  to all of us???

WHY do we need to be concerned with percentages and  limits on our National
Selects with so many other things that should be the  major concern of our
Board??
Aren't we supposed to vote  for good  qualified Judges that are MORE than
capable
of making that  decision???   They are after all The Judge the Membership
voted  in
and not the Board.

A Judge has the discretion to cut it off at 4  if they choose.    Should we
also
dictate that they NOT cut it  off at a certain number???

Shouldn't we be more concerned about UPPING  the quality of our GSD Breed and
entries..... to the point where we HAVE 18  DOGS THAT HIGHLY DESERVE SELECT???
Wouldn't that be a GOOD  THING!!!???
Why must we lower our Standards and numbers ....... Because  OTHER Breed Clubs
do??    Why can't we trust our Judges and our  Breeders and Exhibitors to
improve
quality constantly if they are allowed  the potential chance of a prestigious
Select?
What about the times we see a  dog that was Select 4, or 5, or 6, or
whatever,  that
we didn't like  as well as Select 12.   How shall we Legislate that???
Why do we  need an "award of merit".........why not just give us a black
ribbon  for
coming in 5th and call it The Best We Could  Do............<G>
The "two tiered" approach is limiting Judges AND  Exhibitors......  How is it
NOT??
How does going Select 12 or 14  delute the quality of the Grand V. or Gr. Vx??

Putting a less than  quality animal in 5th and 8th and dumping two good ones
at the specific  number of 10 does the Breed more harm than a Select 13.
Exactly what is the  problem with how it is now??   Helen Franklin's
marvelous idea
of  A.O.E.  and our Select Excellent IS MOTIVATION!!    That IS  HIGH ESTEEM!!
Limitations is NOT motivating anyone to spend the time and  money and effort
attend the National........never will!

Are we so  very sure we want to do this no matter HOW MANY new ideas and
discussions  we have?   Are the people making these decisions exhibiting at
our
National.   Would these changes really MOTIVATE you to enter  your hopeful
select dog??   Where is the harm in allowing a  Judge.........to Judge??
Make sure you all know how your decisions will  affect the actual EXHIBITOR
that
spends that time and money to make the  National......even if we are a vocal
few.

Carolyn  _marhaven@xxxxxxxx (mailto:marhaven@xxxxxxx)

What a great post!

After reading all of the wonderful comments, pro and con, concerning the
number of Selects a Judge should or should not give, I  come to one
conclusion.
It seems to me restrictions allows others to  enter the judging process
without really judging.  We should allow the  man/woman inside that ring to be
the
sole decider of Selects.  To do  otherwise, would limit his/her choices.  I
have searched my brain (took me  2 seconds) to come up with a good reason to
limit Selects, and I connot!   What was the motivation behind this possible
change?  I don't  understand the rational.  All roads lead to a negetive impact
on
the  Nationals, if this is done.

Guys, if it ain't broke-don't try to fix it!

Randy