[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Seizures

  • From: Pat Evans <patsgsdpups@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lfossland@xxxxxxx" <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 19:31:34 -0500

Had a Labrador with seizures. Lots of things can cause them.  Can spend a
fortune figuring it out-or treat the issue.  There is a great Epi-list. EPIL-K9
www.canine-epilepsy.com. If they find a cause , great.  More than likely not.
Vets usually start with phenobarbital.  It that controls the seizures great.
It didn't with Rascal.   We added Potassium bromide, then eventually neurontin
too.  When we added the 3rd drug, our vet had another seizure dog, that was
doing better in a wheat-free diet.  That helped too.

When the dog is having a seizure-we learned to put a cold pack on the back of
Rascal's neck.  Turn off lights, and make it quiet.  There are several new
drugs they are also using now, to help control,   Rosemary is a food additive
that has shown to trigger seizures in some dogs.

Hope this helps.  With luck, and no major illness involved-it is manageable.
Pat Evans