[ SHOWGSD-L ] Saving on the "Review"

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:22:26 -0500

As I posted in my last letter about the "Review", I used to publish my
own magazine (non-dog related), and I know the expense of putting a
publication out.  Every page is expensive and without ads, it just can't
be done without taking a loss.  It seems the only time the "Review" does
well is when advertisers are getting ready for the National, the
futurity/maturities, and the Stud Dog/Brood bitch issues.  The other
months like the holiday issues suffer.  I have a suggestion.  Why not
offer special REDUCED rates on these off months and cut down on the
articles.  Those articles, although informative, costs money for each
one of those pages, and they are not supported by ads to cover the
expense as a person who advertises his dogs are.    We as advertisers
are paying for those extra pages of articles.  I say give the
advertisers REDUCED rates and LESS articles at these times of the year
and because of more advertising, the magazine will pay for itself.  Also
another idea..................the old saying goes "watch what other
people are doing that is successful and imitate it"  Why not take a look
at some of the more popular magazines on the market (it doesn't have to
be dog related), but follow their concept.  Example:  People magazine
has many "special" issues put out each year (and no, I don't mean the
issue about "The sexiest Man alive - although, that would be funny -
sexiest man alive in the GSD breed!) as does "Time" magazine.  Time
magazine will do an issue for "Person of the year".  We could do issues
about top winning dogs, top producing dogs - many times it's not the top
selects that are doing the producing - just because he's a winner,
doesn't mean he's a producer,  Best in Show winners, top working and
obedience dogs, top breeders, top handlers, brags, etc.   Have the issue
theme related.  Have stud dog and brood bitch owners put an ad in on
their dog and ask the owners of their progency to put an ad together so
their are several pages showing their offspring.  Even if these people
pay for half a page each and their listed together, there's a full
page.  All of this, of course, at the REDUCED rate.  And here's an
idea..............Have a secret ballot as they do at the Oscars and have
the membership vote on the breeder of the year............and the
handler of the year and then pay tribute to them in the Review with a
cover story on them.  This would be great for the Christmas issue which
is so small.  Come on people lets get creative and make this fun again.
Like in anything else in life, if you find that one thing isn't working,
you try another thing if you want to be successful.  The "Review"
depends on it's advertisers for survival.  I hope that Gail and her
staff will listen to some of the suggestions that have been made to keep
this publication alive.  Best wishes,  Barbara